The fundamental objectives of the Commission are:
- to awaken and encourage within the worldwide church and society a greater awareness of and to the exercise of prison pastoral care.
- to animate the respective Episcopal Conferences and the local ordinary to establish and further prison pastoral care, which is the mission of the church, offering the best support.
- to organise ongoing training courses, study, current information and meetings for prison pastoral agents and for the members for the Commission.
- to promote the humanisation, revision and reform of the prison system throughout the world.
For the implementation of these objectives, the Commission:
- organises regional and interregional meetings, congresses, training courses,
- publishes newsletters, guidelines, documentation,
- collaborates with other national and international organisations,
- promotes programmes of technical assistance and projects in many member countries.